Hi! Thank you for joining the Loopy Pro public beta! Below are my notes for testers – please read them.
Welcome aboard! I can’t wait to see what you think.
Once you install Loopy Pro, you’ll notice there’s no manual or intro tutorial yet. I want to see how you go without those things, as it tends to shed light on where I need to make tweaks. If something is confusing, or you just can’t figure out how to achieve something, it’s more likely my fault than yours – get in touch and tell me about it.
If you get a crash, you’ll be prompted to describe what you were doing. Please fill that in. I also really appreciate follow-up messages with more detail. Try to figure out the situation that brought it about, and see if you can reproduce the crash. I adore a reproducible crash report! Although crash logs tell some of the story, it’s often not much, and part of being a beta tester is helping to figure out the rest.
Before making any feature requests, do check the upcoming features list below; it may already be in there.
You can visit this page later from within Loopy by tapping the folder icon in the top left, then the Beta button at the top right, or open loopypro.com/beta.
Getting in Touch
Three ways, in order of preference:
- In the Loopy Pro Beta Slack
- On the Loopy Forum (in the Loopy Pro Beta category, please)
- Via email, to [email protected]
Please do not try to report issues via the Audiobus forum or elsewhere.
When reporting issues, please provide as much detail as you can. The goal here is to help me to understand how the issue comes about, and ideally how to reproduce it, so the more info, the better!
A reproducible issue report makes me a very happy and grateful developer 😉
Again, the main aim here generally is to help me figure out how to reproduce a problem, so I can investigate.
TestFlight has a built-in crash reporter which appears immediately after a crash occurs. Please fill in as much detail as you can here, as it helps me figure out how to reproduce the crash. If you’re in a hurry, feel free to just add a quick note in here, and then send the rest via an email later – feel free also to record a quick voice message describing what happened, and email that, if it’s easier.
After the crash happens, while it’s fresh in your mind, please see if you can reproduce it, by going through the same steps. Loopy should routinely auto-save your project, so hopefully most of it will still be there. If you can reproduce the issue – fantastic! – then please do send me your Loopy project (using the “Export” function), unless the crash can be reproduced on a clean project.
If you’re getting crashes on launch (Now we’re talking! Just the kind of thing we want to catch and fix!), then I’d love to see your Workspace.lpproj. Open the Files app, then navigate to On My iPad, then Loopy, and find Workspace.lproj, long press on it, then tap Share and email it to me ([email protected]). Then delete or rename it so that you can launch Loopy again.
1.0 Release Target
- Add tempo guess range configuration
- Follow Actions at the color (and maybe at the global) level
- “Next blank track” track target (+ specify color)
- Add some default effects in group settings
- Effect bar collapse down to scrolling icon row on swipe down to save space
- Overdub feedback
- Volume indicator LED, and CPU meter
- Ripply track selection mode: allow switching scenes
- Audio source actions (mute, gain)
- Action: assign color to track
- Reverse for tracks
- Long press on expand grid option to clone the previous row/column
- Retrigger on hold for pads
- Export all tracks from session
- Actions to enable/disable audio source targets
- Playback rate change: Offer option to keep phase sync enabled
- Initial sample projects
- Clear currently-muted tracks action
Post-1.0 Release Target
- Twist to offset tracks
- Send monitor audio through currently-recording group’s effects
- Track “peel” (turn on/off recent layers)
- Buh-vub-buh-vub vinyl-esque track rollback effect
- Spinback effect
- Beat repeat effect
- Tape stop effect
- 3-band frequency split for Merge module (rather than 2)
- Global independent gain controls for dry and wet signals for LPEffectContainerModule
- Action target: Next selected tracks (multi-select)
- Metronome actions
Hold “new project” for an option to create a new blank project with the same settings as the current project (inputs, groups, colors, whatever)
- Pin to scenes for scene elements: offers selection of scenes on which to show element (or all scenes). Element can be moved and sized on each scene independently.
- Extend targets to add option to use all scenes or just current scene for some options
- Implement drag to apply effects onto particular tracks, and add setting for fx duration
- Option per-track (and on import) to do tape-style tempo change, with pitch variable rather than held (implement as lock toggle button between tempo and pitch sliders)
- Multi-out AUv3
- Actions: Add quantization option, to sync action with clock
- iCloud sync
- Content pack
- Balance for audio inputs
- Split “All Tracks” target into “All Tracks in Scene” and “All Tracks in Project”
- Load effect preset action
- An “open effect” action
- Other group targets for group volume action
- Consecutive solo actions
- Search bar for effects, and for projects and media, and for actions
- Text notes
- Place master output effects at end of rendering chain, after group recorders, to avoid having to create multiple
- Multi-input AUv3 sidechain support
- Default MIDI binding profile, with pre-set CCs (eg volume=7, pan=10, reverse=11, rerecord=12, etc.)
- Song Position Pointer (SPP) support
- LFO for continuous MIDI actions
- Loop slicer: more targets, including groups
- Fade shapes for tracks
- Besides the typical record/overdub/play, some Echoplex-inspired features like: replace, substitute, insert. The new Glou-Glou Loupé has these, and their website explains them pretty well
- Action: Store/recall track playback states (for target group/scene)
- Popover menu for new track buttons with options including instant import
- Action: Clear all tracks which are currently muted.
- Quantize transients within the loop
- SoftStep 2 LED control
- Reorder tracks in sequence view
- Implement playhead interaction for LPTrackController
- Time scrubber widget/MIDI controller (like Samplr)
- Multiline notes field in LPWidgetController
- Undo/Redo in EQ, maybe replacing Audition feature
- Reordering modules in preset editor
- For parameter action provider ramp settings, provide option to specify ramp in beats/bars
- Group volume: make option to be post-fx
- Text box widget
- Audio-based clock sync
- Sidechain inputs for AUv3s that support a second input
- Group sidechain envelope following (as well as individual tracks)
- UI from effect side to setup sidechain envelope follow
- Beat slice sequencer link
- Echo Canceller: detect when calibration needed
- Polyphonic beat slicer grid
- Add individual tracks as audio sources, as well as colours
- Color targets: allow selection from current scene only, or whole project